This post will have the official information for Walt Disney Animation’s ZOOTOPIA created by the team behind “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Tangled” featuring the voices of Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman coming to theaters March 4, 2016. Ginnifer Goodwin currently stars in ABC television’s “Once Upon A Time,” and voiced the fairy Fawn in TINKER BELL AND THE LEGEND OF THE NEVERBEAST. Jason Bateman (“Horrible Bosses” and “Arrested Development” voices a fast-talking fox, Nick Wilde, framed for a crime he didn’t commit. Continue reading for all the news, images, and trailers for ZOOTOPIA, and we’ll continue to update this post as more information becomes available.
Update May 7, 2016
Happy Mother’s Day from Shakira and ZOOTOPIA, available at home on June 7, 2016
Update April 29, 2016
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ ZOOTOPIA available on Digital HD, Blu-ray, Disney Movies Anywhere, DVD and On-Demand (does not include bonus) platforms June 7, 2016.
Bonus features include:
BLU-RAY 3D, BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- Zoology: The Roundtables – Ginnifer Goodwin hosts an in-depth look at the movie’s characters, animation, environments and more. The artists at Disney Animation give a rare and in-depth look at the complexities of bringing an all-animal world to life from the ground-breaking technology behind the characters’ fur and clothing to the varied and vast environments of Tundratown, Sahara Square and the Rainforest District as well as the deep thought and research given to bringing 64 unique animal species to life through animation.
- The Origin of an Animal Tale – Follow the story’s development from its origins to a big story shift that turned the film upside down. In this feature-length documentary, filmmakers give a candid look into the difficulties of creating the story of Zootopia and the bold decision to switch the main character late in the production process, putting one resolute rabbit center stage.
- Research: A True-Life Adventure – The filmmakers traveled the globe to find inspiration for the diverse characters and amazing city of Zootopia. They reflect on the importance of research and how a deep dive into animal behavior at Disney Animal Kingdom theme park and a deep immersion into animal society on the African savanna shaped and inspired the characters of Zootopia and changed the filmmakers’ lives forever.
- Z.P.D. Forensic Files – Find the movie’s hidden Easter Eggs. Every city has its hidden gems, especially when it has been created by the filmmakers of Disney Animation who love nothing more than sprinkling hidden references to some of Disney’s greatest animated features throughout the story.
- Scoretopia – Academy Award-winning composer, Michael Giacchino spotlights five of cinema’s greatest percussionists and how they brought an organic, animalistic sound to his powerful and emotional music score.
- Deleted Characters – Directors Byron Howard and Rich Moore introduce citizens of Zootopia who did not make the final cut.
- Deleted Scenes:
- Alternate Opening – Young Judy Hopps rescues a fellow classmate and realizes she can reach beyond a life in carrot farming to a future in law enforcement.
- Wild Times! Pitch – Nick desperately pitches the bankers of Zootopia on funding Wild Times!, an amusement park made exclusively for the predators of Zootopia and a sure-fire, money-making scheme for Nick and his friends.
- Alternate Homesick Hopps – After a frustrating first day on the force, Judy has a conversation with her parents. See how this scene changed from a heartfelt conversation with her parents to tough love when her parents discover their daughter is only a meter maid and not a “real cop.”
- Detective Work – Judy borrows a fellow police officer’s computer to conduct research, which turns out to be no small task.
- Alternate Jumbo Pop – In this early version of the story where Nick was the main character, the filmmakers and Jason Bateman were able to take hustling to a new level.
- Hopps’ Apartment – When Judy’s entire family pays her a surprise visit they are shocked to discover the company she’s keeping.
- The Taming Party – In this emotional clip from an early version of “Zootopia,” Judy attends her first “taming party” and gains a deeper understanding of the plight of the predator.
- “Try Everything” Music Video by Shakira
Update March 2, 2016
Click here for our spoiler-free ZOOTOPIA movie review – “Where Anyone Can Be Anything” by George Gensler.
Update February 13, 2016
Another trio of film clips released for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA.
Update February 3, 2016
Three film clips released for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA, and click here for more ZOOTOPIA printable activity sheets.
Update January 23, 2016
“Don’t give up, don’t give in…” but do check out the music video for Shakira’s “Try Everything” featured in ZOOTOPIA. The “Try Everything” single is available now at digital retail stores such as iTunes, and will also be included on the ZOOTOPIA soundtrack released by Walt Disney Records on March 4th.
Update January 20, 2016
Sarah Woloski takes us on a “Story Safari” with the writers for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA. Click here for some fun facts from the creation of the story of ZOOTOPIA.
Update January 3, 2016
“No matter what type of animal you are, change starts with you.” Shakira’s single “Try Everything” featured in the second trailer for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA.
Update December 22, 2015
Final poster and printable activity sheets for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA. Click on the links following the poster for fun holiday themed ZOOTOPIA activity sheets including character ornaments, “Zoo” flakes, holiday gift tags and a “Zoo” Year’s Eve party pack (some of the files are large; so just be patient as they download).
Update December 1, 2015
Sarah Woloski ventured to the Walt Disney Animation Studios in October to visit with the Directors, Producer and Production Team of ZOOTOPIA and view some first-look footage. Click here for fun facts on anim(al)ation character design.
Update November 23, 2015
Clear your schedule and check out the latest trailer and images for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA. You’ll need a few minutes because its on sloth time, but don’t worry Flash is the fastest sloth in the whole DMV.
Update September 24, 2015
First poster released for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA.
Update August 14, 2015
International superstar Shakira is lending her Grammy-winning voice to Gazelle, the biggest pop star in Zootopia, D23 EXPO fans learned via a taped message from Shakira today. Ginnifer Goodwin (ABC’s “Once Upon a Time,” “Something Borrowed,” “Walk the Line”), the voice of the film’s rookie rabbit officer Judy Hopps, saluted fans alongside directors Byron Howard (“Tangled”) and Rich Moore (“Wreck-It Ralph”), and producer Clark Spencer (“Wreck-It Ralph”).
Hilarious new scenes from the film were unveiled, plus a tease of the all-new original song, “Try Everything,” written by singer-songwriter Sia and songwriting duo Stargate, and performed by Shakira. Said Howard, “For the role of Gazelle, Zootopia’s most beloved superstar, there was only one person on our wish list: Shakira. Luckily for us, she said yes. Her immense talent and charm bring Gazelle and her song, ‘Try Everything,’ to life.”
Update June 17, 2015
First “teaser” trailer released for Disney’s ZOOTOPIA
Original post from May 8, 2015 follows below…
From Walt Disney Animation Studios Press Release
The modern mammal metropolis of ZOOTOPIA is a city like no other. Comprised of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it’s a melting pot where animals from every environment live together—a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps (voice of Ginnifer Goodwin) arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde (voice of Jason Bateman), to solve the mystery.
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ ZOOTOPIA, a comedy-adventure directed by Byron Howard (“Tangled,” “Bolt”) and Rich Moore (“Wreck-It Ralph,” “The Simpsons”) and co-directed by Jared Bush (“Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero”), opens in theaters on March 4, 2016.